1. If you did not know, THE AUTOMATION is a novel that thinks it’s a memoir, but whose editor thinks it’s a brilliant work of fiction. Thus, there are footnotes that argue with the Narrator…and snide comments in the manuscript about such “editorial work.”
2. In the very first chapter, there’s a man who appears to be a time traveler (that, or he’s prepared for the next steampunk convention). However, he isn’t a time traveler. He’s just traveled through time the old fashioned way—living it. He never grows old. Now just how is that, you may ask?
3. This man proceeds to commit suicide in front of young man named Odys Odelyn [alliteration purposeful].
4. But not before he gives Odys Odelyn a gift. A – um – magic coin, you might say.
5. When Odys touches the coin, something unexpected happens. The coin is not a coin. In fact, it turns into an Automaton. Kinda like a jinni in a bottle. But not.
6. This Automaton functions off of Odys’s soul—she is an extension of his body. Theoretically, the more Automatons you have the more bodies you have. Sort of like chopping up your soul into little functional pieces. Like Voldemort. But not.
7. But, in order to get more Automatons, their “Masters” have to die. Thus, most Masters agree you should only have one.
8. HOWEVER, there’s one master, named Leeland, who disagrees with this only-one rule. In fact, he’s picking off Masters right and left and collecting their Automatons like some demented Pokémon master.
9. And let’s just say Odys has a hard time being both a boy and girl at the same time. He goes through a reality check or two.
10. Eventually, Odys will get closer to finding out why the suicidal man gave his Automaton to Odys. …And why he was willing to die to do so.
BONUS: Publishers Weekly called the Automation “charming” and you can read the entire novel for free on Goodreads.
[“BLA and GB Gabbler” (really just a pen name – singular) are the Editor and Narrator behind THE AUTOMATION, vol. 1 of the Circo del Herrero series. They are on facebook, twitter, tumblr, goodreads, and Vulcan’s shit list.]
B&N | Amazon | Etc.